Northamptonshire County Council - financial collapse
Commissioners were appointed to run the council in May 2018 and following their highly critical first progress report in Nov 2018 the council is to be allowed to use money from the sale of the HQ building to fund essential day to day services including the failing children services.
The National Audit Office has warned that 1 in 10 single tier and county councils are facing financial sustainability issues. The Bureau of Investigative Journalism identified Lancashire, Norfolk, Somerset and Surrey as potentially amongst these and East Sussex has already warned that it might have to reduce its services to a 'core' offering.
Past spending by Northamptonshire CC:
- AppGov - Northamptonshire spend details
- LG Inform - Northamptonshire Value for Money profile
- Northamptonshire CC website
- BBC News - Northamptonshire CC
- Bureau of Investigative Journalism - County councils in crisis
- Guardian - Local Government
- Independent - Northamptonshire CC
- LGC - Northamptonshire CC
- National Audit Office - 2018 Financial sustainability report
- Wikipedia - Northamptonshire CC